A. Position Location / Pertinent Information
The Housing Specialist is a supervised, full-time, exempt position that provides case management services to a caseload of 15-20 select clients who meet the criteria of the RRH Program. This position requires community based services as well as office-based services.
Employment Status: Exempt
Program Description: The Rapid Re-Housing Program provides financial assistance to families and to individuals participating in the Critical Time Intervention Program in order to quickly transition from homelessness to permanent housing.
B. Duties/ Responsibilities
- Conduction assessments to determine eligibility for the program and evaluate participant needs and strengths
- Develop a comprehensive, strengths based housing plan, addressing short and long term goals
- Support participants in accessing and retaining housing
- Conduct housing inspections as necessary, conduct lead inspections as necessary
- Working with landlords to address barriers to housing
- Educating clients on tenant rights and responsibilities
- Provide eviction prevention, counseling, and advocacy
- Meet with participants regularly, in the home and community providing life skills education, including budgeting and bill payment
- Evaluate monthly necessary financial assistance needs of the participant
- Provide access and connection to identified community resources, such as employment services, treatment services, educational services, and benefits
- Build and maintain partnerships with landlords and community organizations
- Maintain updated and accurate client files and documentation
- Participate in staff meetings and other agency meetings, as requested
Drug and Alcohol:
- Demonstrate knowledge of various drug and alcohol recovery strategies.
- Assess drug and alcohol dependence and client treatment needs.
- Be comfortable and willing to confront clients who may be chemically dependent
- Demonstrate knowledge of the different levels of care in the drug and alcohol service system.
- Other Duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in social services related field, or relevant experience
- Experience with case management services to vulnerable populations
- Experience in working with those experiencing homelessness
- Knowledge of evidenced based practices, such as motivational interviewing, harm reduction, and trauma informed care
- Strong interpersonal and engagement skills
- Ability to work independently and utilize critical thinking skills in decision making situations
- Good organizational and record skills